Sunday, June 28, 2009

Billy Mays: 1958-2009

TMZ reported this morning that Billy Mays, the iconic infomercial spokesman for such products as Oxi-Clean and Mighty Putty, has died.

I find it slightly spooky that this is the fourth sudden celebrity death in one week, after the passings of Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson.

Billy Mays' death is especially sad, though, because he is one of the few people I can think of who became a household name just by doing his job. For all practical purposes, this was a normal guy with the gift of a distinctive, loud voice, and whatever "it" is that gives a person the uncanny ability to sell anything to anybody. No, I never bought any of his products...but I have sat through more of his advertisements at 1 in the morning than I'd like to admit. Something tells me God himself just signed up for 3 easy installments of $19.95, plus shipping and handling.

No comments:

Post a Comment